Dear Member(s) of the European Parliament,
As you probably know, next week the European Parliament will vote on the Estrela report amending a directive regarding maternity and paternity leave.
The Platform for European Fathers together with the other organisations and NGO’s signing this letter, call on you to vote in favour of the establishment of 2 weeks fully paid paternity leave in the EU (Amendment 50 on Paternity Leave amending Council Directive 92/85/EEC).
Paternity leave is crucial for giving fathers the opportunity to take their share in the care responsibilities for their children. This is not only proven to be favourable for the relationship between father and child, but also improves equal opportunities for women and men.
Currently in a number of EU countries fathers or co-mothers can not spend sufficient time or no time at all with their babies and partners during the very first two weeks after the birth. It is exactly in this period immediately after birth when a bound is created between father and child. Spending time with mother and child during this time, gives them the opportunity to get involved with caring tasks. Being there during the first weeks has a proven lasting positive effect on a more equal sharing of care responsibilities.
Both theory and empirical findings have shown that paternity leave increases mother’s labour market attachment. Paternity leave is an important contributor to equal opportunities for women and men. Due to the significant rise in fathers’ involvement in caring, women have more time and are more likely to stay in the labour market and secure their career opportunities after having given birth. This will result in a higher female labour participation which is one of the objectives under the EU2020 strategy.
The impact assessment ordered by the policy department of the European Parliament demonstrated that the costs of establishing two weeks paternity leave in the EU, would already be covered by an increase in female labour participation of only 0,04%. Giving fathers the right to be with their baby in the period immediately after birth is therefore economically attractive as well.
We would therefore urge you to vote in favour of the Estrela report, and in particular call on you to make sure that amendment 50 (inserting article 8a on paternity leave) is adopted.
We count on your support on behalf of all new European fathers who would like to be there for their new born babies!
Platform for European Fathers
Peter Tromp, coördinator
Supporting organisations and key persons from the Netherlands:
- Vakbond CNV Publieke Zaak, Marcel Matser, Bondsbestuurder
- Vakbond Alternatief voor Vakbond (AVV), Martin Pikaart, voorzitter
- Vakbond FNV Jong, Jeroen de Glas, Voorzitter
- Papaplus, Rutger Groot Wassink, Oprichter
- IkVader.nl, Henk Hanssen, Eindredacteur
- Stichting Kind en Omgangsrecht – Vaderkenniscentrum, Peter Tromp, Voorzitter
- Stichting Het Nieuwe Werken Werkt, Roos Wouters, Voorzitter
- Stichting Mama Wil, Maartje Pierhagen, Voorzitter
- Man Kind Centrum, Amersfoort, Dennis Grippeling, Directeur
- Stichting Steunpunt Studerende Moeders, Expertise centrum voor studie en gezin, Rotterdam, Annemiek de Jong
- Stichting Werkende Ouders, Annemie Schuitemaker, Voorzitter
- Career & Kids, Annemie Schuitemaker, Directeur
- Platform ‘Jongens in balans’, Lauk Woltring, Oprichter/voorzitter
- Great Place to Work Institute – Nederland, Jos Plompen, CEO
- Stichting TeleWerkForum – Het Nieuwe Werken, Willem de Jager, Directeur
- Talent in Balans, Coachingsbureau, Amsterdam, Aukje Delahay, Eigenaar
- Halgren Coaching, Amsterdam, Jessica Halgren, Eigenaar
- Priorities-Professional Organizing Coaching, Sandra Kruijt, Directeur/eigenaar
- Inclusive Societies Netherlands, Winnie Terra
- Regeltante BV, Bemiddeling huispersoneel particulieren, Werving & selectie vast en tijdelijk personeel voor MKB, Ir. Linda Woudstra, Directeur
- Peperwortel Traiteur & catering, Amsterdam, Sasja Delahay, Eigenaar/Vennoot
- Prof. dr. L.W.C. Tavecchio, Professor in Pedagogics, specialised in the role and pedagogical significance of fathers, University of Amsterdam
- ‘Werken met Jongens. Onderzoek, Innovatie, Advies en training’, Lauk Woltring, Directeur
- Dylan van Rijsbergen, Auteur van mannenboeken
- Joep Zander, Auteur van vaderboeken
Supporting organisations from Belgium:
- Fondation Mon Papa, Le Juge et Moi, Gery Le Grelle, Chairman
- Samenwerkingsverband Ouders bij Scheiding (SOBS), Ghislain J.J. Duchâteau, Coördinator
- CAP Enfance, Jacques Van Roosbroeck
- Family 4 Justice België, Jan van Baelen, Eindredacteur
- Goudi (Gescheiden Ouders Dienstbetoon door Informatie), Ghislain J.J. Duchâteau, Eindredacteur
Supporting organisations from Greece:
- Sygapa, Association for Male and Paternal Dignity, Professor Nicolaos Spitalas, President
Supporting organisations from Iceland:
- Foreldrajafnrétti, Association of parental equality, Heimir Hilmarsson, President
Supporting organisations from Norway
- BarneFaren, Anders Kleppe, Operational leader
Supporting organisations from the United Kingdom
- Men’s Aid, Robert Whiston, Chairman
- Family Law Society, Brian Hitchcock, Director of legal services
- The Men’s Network Brighton & Hove, Glen Poole, Chairman
- The Fatherhood Institute, Rob Williams, Chief Executive
Supporting organisations from Ireland
- Parental Equality, Liam O’Gogain, Chairman
Supporting organisations from Malta
- Malta Liberal Party, Dr. John Zammit
Supporting organisations from Austria
- Verein ‘Dialog für Kinder – Österreich’, Mag. Angelika Roselstorfer
- Väter ohne Rechte – Martin Stiglmayr, Obmann
Supporting organisations from Italy
- Paternità Oggi, El Portale dei papa, Federico Olivo
Supporting organisations from Switzerland
- VeV Verantwortungsvoll erziehende Väter und Mütter Schweiz, André Müller, Vizepräsident
This is a great and importent initiative! emancipation on the workfloor and at home!!
Het zal tijd worden!
In children’s sake, vote in favour of two weeks Paternity Leave (Amendm 50)!!
Niet meer dan normaal! Of misschien zelfs nog te weinig!
Ook mannen moeten het recht hebben om een band met hun kind op te bouwen. De huidige situatie is discriminerend voor de man en dat is uiteindelijk nadelig voor mannen, maar ook vooral voor kinderen.
En snel invoeren in heel Europa!
Fathers are very important for their children.
It’s very valuable if they could spend more time with the child in the first two weeks. This, from the perspective of the child, the father and the mother.
It’s very good to rethink why paternity leave would be short as it is at present.
Finally a voice for all men who haven’t been claiming this right!
This could be a very important and necessary step towards equal rights for men and women. MEPs: please vote progressively in favour of this amendment!
2 weeks = minimum
Minstens twee weken, maar nog steeds minimaal!
Good initiative! Will help the emancipation of all men!
een goed begin!
this is the bom main.!
2 weken is nog te weinig maar het is een goed begin.
I totally support this initiative!
2 weeks only? 6 weeks is ok…
I fully support this initiative
2 weeks…! Unbelievable that a petition needs to be signed for this! For a real improvement in bonding between fathers and babies, more equal division of caring and higher female labor participation, we should rather be discussing months. But, I guess, it’s a start…
Goed plan! Dan weet ik nu al dat ik 6 kinderen neem!!
We support this important and necessary step towards equal rights for men and women, fathers and mothers. Please vote for this important amendment!
Nodig en belangrijk, steun t!
Two weeks is to short for me, I would plead for four!
2 weeks minimum!
2 weeks minimum; 6 weeks would mean a better start for real fatherhood
Scandinavian countries have 0,5 – 1 year paternity leave options. That’s more like it.
10 days minimum! Any self-proclaimed emancipated society should expect no less.
The goverment and society needs to understand that the father is as important as the mother in caring and raising the child. This is a good – and needed – development to give these fathers this role and chance.
I support this initiative! 2 weeks minimum, maybe even more!
This ‘pregnant’ idea must be born!!!
Great!! I’m supporting this very much!
helemaal mee eens
zeker een goede maatregel. ook goed om de vrouw eens te ontlasten :-)
Weer een stapje dichter bij een eerlijkere verdeling tussen werk en zorg.
Goed initiatief dus!
Pingback: Man: vader of vechter « Joep Zander weblog
we do support the two weeks paternity leave and any form of increased time spent with the family which helps build a stronger attachment between fathers and their children, we beleive it has determining role in the development of children and a positive impact on the social relations
we should not forget though how many children has been suffering from detachment from the father during family fragmentation (divorce/separation) , so the question remains: “how a parallel initiative can preserve this stronger attachment of the child to both parents, now becoming easier, for the total extent of the childhood ?” – Attila Vida.